Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Using the GAME plan process with your students

The GAME plan process is a great tool to use not only in setting goals, but also figuring out how to manage this process in your classroom. Since I teach kindergarten, I find that it is more difficult for me to let my students complete projects independently. It is more of let me show you what to do. I oftentimes have to modify a great idea that I read about or hear about from other teachers to fit the profiles of my students. Even throughout this class I have often been puzzled with how to modify technology to fit my students' needs. Often I feel like I am doing most of the work and it all becomes too much. I think though that if I introduce bits of technology at a time then it won't seem so overwhelming.

My students are still learning about goals and how to set them. This is where I think the GAME plan is very beneficial. We usually set goals as a whole class and then sometimes reach those goals. If we do not, we try to discuss what happened as to why we didn't get there. I would prefer to start my GAME plan this way in trying one as a whole group. I feel that if I were to set up a GAME plan for each child individually then it would be too overwhelming to manage. I enjoy having one-on-one conversations with my students so conferencing with them would be a great way to find out more with the comfort level of the child or whether the child is learning anything.

I hope that as an educator I can participate in more professional development workshops and read more literature on the current technology.

2 comments:

  1. Erica,

    I agree that using the GAME plan process with Kindergarten students seems overwhelming and screams management nightmare. However, I think you have a great idea to start with goal setting as a whole group. There are certainly many whole group goals that can be set because the students are expected to reach the same standards such as counting to a given number, knowing all of their letters and letter sounds, etc. I also really like the aspect of revisiting a goal that has not been met and discussing why that may have happened and even making adjustments. You made me remember seeing a monthly goal written in a first grade class I subbed in years ago. It is a good way to expose students to the GAME plan process without expecting them to use it independently. Thanks for the good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica,

    Students are likely to benefit from the tuition that is clear and concise as regards instructions and when they know what they are expected to do, they should not get in trouble that are not their fault. Goals are essential and as a students (and teacher at the same time) I can really say that there is a great difference between lesson which are conducted by teachers who know what to accomplish and those that are just for teh sake of the very lesson...

    ReplyDelete