Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cognitive Learning Theory

Cognitive learning theory emphasizes how students take in and process concepts. Every teacher should be aware of cognitive processes that involve input to design the appropriate output. Dr. Opey described how information is stored and processed by describing the sensory input, short term, and long-term memory (Laureate, 2008). The resources this week really helped me see how we as teachers can incorporate information that is meaningful to students through virtual tours and information organization.

 

            With some of this information, I had to really analyze how I would adapt these techniques to fit the mold of a primary student. I know that primary students understand rubrics. Rubrics are excellent advance organizers by preparing students to apply their abilities, knowledge, and critical thinking skills (Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). I use rubrics in my classroom by allowing students to evaluate a piece of literature for qualities of good writers, or to rate themselves in following directions. There are many ways to use rubrics and students can begin to use self-evaluation techniques through their senses. Another favorite of mine is United Streaming videos to make connections with vocabulary concepts and skills taught. Students are able to make those connections to real life scenarios.

 

            When describing to students how to summarize using note taking techniques I really liked the recommendation of giving students teacher-prepared notes (Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). I taught third grade last year and summarizing through note taking was a big challenge for me. A teacher shouldn’t rely on just one type of note-taking format, but can allow students to use different colors if needed for a different concept. We learn best through using our senses. Students will remember colored words since colors are a very sensory characteristic (Laureate, 2008).

 

This week has continued to inspire me to incorporate more sensory materials within my lessons. Through keeping my students’ interests and learning abilities in mind, I can be assured that I am meeting each child’s needs and desires.

 

 

Laureate Education Inc. (2008). “Cognitive Learning Theories.” Baltimore, MD: Laureate Education Inc.

 

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are right that it is challenging to figure out how to use some of these things with our five and six year olds. I think the use of rubrics is definitely something they can handle with training. We have to use more pictures as opposed to the descriptors that the older grades can read.

    I also really like to use Discovery Streaming and brainpop jr. videos with my students. They engage the students, help the auditory and visual learners and do a great job of introducing or reinforcing concepts we are teaching.

    I find it challenging to have Kindergarten students take notes. I have done this with bubble maps where they can just write phrases or words. I tend to do it in more of a whole group manner where students take in the information and orally share what they have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students are constantly using their senses even though they don't realize it. I agree with the connection you made about note taking and using different colors. I find myself doing this with math, reading, and science vocabulary terms. However, I use different colored sentence strips instead of writing words in different colors.
    For all the vocabulary words I use one color of sentence strips. Then for the definitions I use another color. I align all the words in two different colors in a pocket chart. I have noticed that by separating with colors, students can easily distinguish each word instead of getting lost in strips of words. Also, children who sit far away from a chart can distinguish the words and the sentences don’t run together.
    United Streaming and Brain pop are fabulous resources. Students must be shown and taught ideas, skills, and vocabulary in a variety of ways. I definitely will use anything that gives my students another outlook on a concept I am teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I like what you mention when dealing with sensual stimulation vs. learning. I have experienced that fact many times in my own learning and teaching as well. As I am still a student and I have to memorize things occasionally. I do so with help of various visual tools and I profit much. For example colors that you mention are easy to use but really valuable!

    ReplyDelete